What materials need to be provided by the landlord?
- AST lease
- Tenancy Deposit Scheme certificate
- Gas/electricity certificate
How to bring a tenancy to an end?
- The AST lease should stipulate how much notice to the landlord is required to leave the property.
- You are responsible for paying rent for the entire fixed-term tenancy, but can move out early if (i) there is a break clause in your AST lease, or (ii) your landlord agrees to end the AST lease early
- The balance of the deposit must be returned by the landlord within 10 days of agreement on deductions (if any).
What if there is a dispute over the deposit?
- The tenancy deposit protection (TDP) schemes, of which there are three, offer a free dispute resolution service. This does not have to be used, but if it is, both tenant and landlord have to agree to it. Both will be asked to provide evidence, and the decision made about the deposit will be final.
- If the landlord cannot be contacted, the TDP scheme will refund the deposit if the dispute resolution service agrees.